Monday, April 2, 2012

Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......

I just got chills from Sesame Street.

Normally the TV isn’t on unless:
A) the kids are outside and I’m catching up on General Hospital  (don’t judge me)
B) we’re watching a Planet Earth video, or
C) school work and chores are finished.
This morning Small asked if he could watch something educational while enjoying his Cocoa Puffs (again, don’t judge). The first thing that came on was Sesame Street and which is totally educational! Well, ok Sesame Street is probably only educational for a four year old, but I didn’t consider it as brain rotting as Tuff Puppy, so PBS it was. I decided that this breakfast distraction was long enough for me to squeeze in some computer time.  Listening to the TV in the background, a song suddenly transported me back to 1979, sitting in the floor in front of my parent’s TV, watching my beloved Sesame Street. I still remember that it was on channel 12, which I had to manually twist a knob to get to, at 9am after Good Morning America. I loved me some Sesame Street.

Somebody come and play. Somebody come and play today….”  Originally performed by a group of children in 1974, and sometime later by a lonely Ernie, this classic childhood anthem still captures kids’ basic need: playing with friends.  Normally hearing this song would just bring a smile, but the version I heard today was so beautiful because the children’s voices were from the PS22 Chorus of 2011.

Here, go listen. I'll wait.

Wasn't that awesome?
As I sit writing my blog, still having not started “school” for the day at 10:00am, I push the guilt away. Why? Because Medium and Small are outside watering their newly planted trees and playing with a toy airplane, while Large checks on the newborn kittens and their mother. They are outside playing together on a beautiful spring morning. When they come in, we will do "school". We’re using the Mystery of History curriculum and today we are studying the Sumerians. Small will try out their form of writing, cuneiform, on clay while Medium and Large will build a structure out of Legos following the Sumerians ziggurat. All three will do Math, Spelling, and Reading. Medium and Large will do grammar. They will all again, go outside and play. 

It is OK to start bookwork, or what we typically consider "school" at 10:30, or even 11:00. I myself am learning that at home, education happens everywhere, including a desk with a pencil, or the front yard with a water hose.

No comments:

Post a Comment